What? Everyone else is doing it. The time of year where we all look back at the last 12 months, tally up the number of celebrities who have died, and figure out how we want to strike out in 2017.
Okay, maybe that second one isn’t an annual tradition, but this year, if I lit a candle for every icon I lost, I’d set my house on fire.
That being said, as much as 2016 was a knife in the heart a lot of the time, personally it was fantastic.
A few weeks ago, I wrote my post on my first year as a full time author, so I won’t get into all that again, except to say that circumstances have arisen that will let me continue on that path for 2017.
As for the other notes/resolutions/plans from last year’s obligatory wrap-up post:
- “On top of the work stuff, I met someone, fell head over heels for him, and am still the happiest I’ve ever been nine months later” – this is still true, although now it’s a year and nine months later. So true, in fact, that when he asked, I said yes, so that’s going to be a big part of the first half of 2017 (yay ^.^)
- “do 20 mins of exercise a day” – I DID THIS!!! I’m very proud of myself, because exercise has never been a huge passion of mine. Sure, I missed an odd day here and there, but for the most part, I averaged over 30 minutes a day of some form of exercise, usually walking (with a brief stint of jogging, but then my knees went out again, so no). Then I picked up a hula hoop class and what was so much fun. Highly recommend it if you’re looking for some sneaky exercise in your routine. Most recently, I’ve gotten back into yoga and OH MY GOODNESS I can’t express enough how much better I feel because of it. Yay movement!
- “read for pleasure for 30 mins a day” – DID I EVER. After a 6 year slump, I forced myself to start reading again, and managed to log 58 books since March 2016 (it’s actually more than that with Jan & Feb, but I hadn’t discovered the Goodreads Reading Challenge yet. Are you on GR? I don’t use it for much except tracking, but feel free to friend me and say hi!
- “read 1 craft book a month” – I managed to keep this up as well and discovered many great resources and solid advice. I strongly feel my work is already better because of it. It became a lot easier to make time for this sort of professional development when I started to see it AS professional development.
- “engage in 2 social events a month” – another goal achieved. Although I did lose a few connections being unable to go out as much as I did with the dayjob, my oldest, bestest friends stayed in touched and I did get out of the house a few times a month
- Finally “keep up with at least one blog post per month” – I think I did that, too.
So all in all, a damned good year. A few bonus perks included:
- making better use of my agendas/daytimers
- journaling again
- always having one book on the go about personal growth/development so that I can keep an open mind about the changes coming into my life.
NOW WE ENTER 2017
DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUN
Usually I only have one word per year, but I think 2017 will be the year of “Activity” and “Self-Care”. The two aren’t mutually exclusive, but they do have different focuses and have the potential to conflict.
Basically, I want to keep doing what I’m doing, but be more mindful and aware of it, so that I get more out of my good habits.
I want to look at my business and understand the bigger picture coming out of it instead of getting lost in the details. To do this, I want to improve my tracking systems (I rediscovered spreadsheets this year, and it’s wonderful). I purchased my first Leuchtturm1917 so I can take my own stab at bullet journaling and hopefully see greater trends in my habits so I can change/get rid of/enhance them.
I want to keep moving and stay active not only physically, but professionally as well. I’m looking at attending Ad Astra again this year, and probably CanCon, but I also want to see what else is out there so I can experience new facets to my business and learn more tricks of the trade that work well for me.
On top of all of that, I want to make sure I’m my best self by the end of the year. I actually made it through 2016 without coming down with any major cold or flu, and I think that came mainly from sleeping well, eating better, exercising regularly, and generally taking the “me” time I needed to recharge. So more of that.
In sum (just for my own tracking purposes), my goals for 2017 are as follows:
- exercise 30min/day
- journal at least 3x/week
- read 30min/day
- read 1 craft book/month
- update daytimer daily
- 2 social engagements/month
- 1 blog post a month
- get married
I WANT TO BE THE MOST WELL-ROUNDED PERSON EVAR by the end of 2017.
Who wants to join me in that? What are you goals for this year? I want to hear about them!