Still two more interviews to go! Chris Henry is the author of Dieb’s stories, set in The Corpse – bandit territory outside the borders of Greylands.
1) Other than a fabulous contributor to Greylands, who are you?
I’m a pop culture addict and Internet cosmonaut with passing interests in history, old horror stories but not movies because oh god no. I’m also really terrible at answering this kind of question. I am a human being filled with useful organs, and most of them are mine.
2) Most of them? I think that’s something to be proud of! Small blog serial or not, it took a lot of guts to contribute to the project. What drew you to it?
I actually wrote a book with you many years ago and it was not totally awful. I’d been trying to get back into writing again, and you proposed this idea of a collaborated story with a dystopian future setting. It was interesting, and I’m a sucker for a failed future.
3) Why did you choose the characters that you did? Did you know when you started with them that they would turn out the way they did?
The choice I made was out of uncertainty. It was really, really early in the project when I started thinking about what I wanted to do, and the setting wasn’t completely fleshed out yet. I wrote Dieb because he gave me a chance to develop the character without having to worry too much about him meshing with others. It also gave me the opportunity to do a little world building in a world that wasn’t mine. That’s why Dieb started outside the city, and away from everyone else.
4) Other than your own character, who was your favourite?
I’m not sucking up when I say this, but Alexis. She showed a lot of strength when everything hit the fan. She adapts, and overcomes. I love a survivor story.
5) What other projects do you have going on? Can we expect to see other titles from you?
I don’t have any irons in the fire right now, mostly just terrifying ideas rolling around in my skull like loose marbles.
6) Where can people find you on the interwebs?
I can be found on twitter where I mostly just retweet people funnier and more interesting than myself: https://twitter.com/mrCHENRY